Our family

Our family

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shoes

Shoes. Shoes. And more shoes!!! All these shoes pictured will be traveling with me and a team from Living Hope to Kenya this week! We will be leaving Thursday night and arriving on Saturday to love on the sweet children at The Haven and The Fresh Start Orphanages. This will be a time of encouraging the children and local pastors and reaching out to the surrounding families that live near the orphanage. But I have a feeling that we will be the most encouraged by these children who love the Lord and have so much love to give!

Just a few months ago, I was sitting in church when I saw a short video on upcoming mission opportunities. The one that pierced my heart was the opportunity to love and serve some Kenyan orphans. I could hear God whisper, "Go." But I thought, "No way! I can't leave the girls for 10 days. How would we pay for that? Could Andrew take off work for that long? If not, who would watch the girls? How would Andrew survive that long without me? :) And how would I survive that long without him and the girls? And again, how could we ever afford that?

But God whispered again, "Now is the time." And I couldn't stop thinking about those Kenyan children. So after a lot of prayer, I sent out letters for prayer and financial support. And God took care of everything beautifully. He reminded me that He is in control. Always. And that He cares for me. And once again, I was amazed at what He did. And God provided ALL the money through very generous donations from family and dear friends. And I am amazed and so excited that He would allow me to be a part of this.

So today the team from Living Hope packed suitcases full of coloring books, crayons, pens, Bibles, first aid kits, suits for the men, bubbles, and plenty of shoes! We will lovingly distribute these things among the kids and the adult workers at the orphanage. But most of all, I can't wait to hug and love these kids and remind them that they are loved so much by all of us here and by their Father in Heaven.

If you read this, please take a moment to pray for our trip: that we would have safe travels, that we would all stay healthy, that we would truly be an encouragement to the Kenyan pastors and all the children in the orphanage, that we would honor God in our thoughts and actions, that we would proclaim the Lord's name in everything we do there, and that we would reflect the Lord's love so these children would be refreshed and renewed in their relationships with Him. And that we might have a new understanding about being adopted by the King!

I am excited to go and can't wait to see how the Lord will be working in all of our lives over this trip. I'm looking forward to worshipping the Lord with our brothers and sisters in Kenya. And I am crying out to the Lord to continue to change me, to help me rest in Him, to help me adore Him over everything else in my life, and to continue this good work that He has started in me. Can't wait to love these kids...one shoe at a time!

Jennifer

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you being able to go on this trip, Jennifer! I wish I could go with you! I hope you leave there changed by God and the children! Love you!

    ReplyDelete